Monday, September 15, 2008

Is There A Doctor In The House?


Oh yes, now there will be.

After 2 freakin' years of having no "family physician" (read: someone that actually gives a crap about going through my chart and making sure I'm alive and kicking), I finally got one today.

My old, wonderful doctor decided to up and leave me about 2 years ago after he decided to go back to the military. In what way or for what reasons I never did ask, but let me tell you I seriously entertained enlisting just so I could still have a doctor.

So there I was, a Doctor O'Neill "orphan" as one of the other docs at my clinic used to call me when I came to see her on walk-ins. There's nothing quite like a walk-in clinic situation. Unless you're overtly hacking up a lung in the waiting room, the whispered, "I need to see a doctor" to the receptionist always made me feel a bit shady. I always wanted to whisper after saying that... "the itch is getting worse". lol

I kept targeting the same doctor at my clinic. If she was on walk-in, I'd go when she was there. If I had any outside testing done, when they ask who your family doctor is, I'd say I don't really have one, but you can send it to her. When the time came for yearly physicals, she'd take pity on me, being an "orphan" and all, and squeeze me in for the "speed grope" version. I really liked her. My age, no nonsense, and run off of her bloody feet every time I saw her.

Today, I lucked out. Prepared for the "speed grope" physical, I was surprised that she also came armed with a couple of forms, as she was now going to "properly" take me on as a patient. As sad as it was, I was freakin' elated!!! I felt like when I was done the paperwork, we should have honeymooned or something... at least had a smoke together. (Nevermind, that's right, I quit.)

Ontario's doctor shortage is ridiculous. I feel for the families with kids who have to rely on walk-ins to take care of them. I really do. I realize that I am very lucky, which is very sad.

I'd love to tell you all who she is, but she really isn't taking any new patients and I swear to god, she swore me to secrecy about even telling anyone. So I decided to post it on my blog. Haha. Ah well, you can't have her anyways.... she's mine, all mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it only took two years.



Flush.

2 comments:

repliderium.com said...

I know exactly what you mean about walk-ins... regardless of why your actually there it always feel sketchy as hell and "rash related"
Took me 1 1/2 years to get mine here in BC so I feel your pain. 2 years is a hell of a long courtship...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com